Sunday, January 22, 2012

Measurement In Kindergarten

These are little books I made for a follow-up to our measurement unit. You can have students record on the second page what they are measuring with a picture. You can see below how I labeled the objects with masking tape and letters of the alphabet.


The math curriculum, my school uses, is TERC Investigations. The students trace their footprints and measure using cubes.




In this picture,  the child is measuring masking tape on the table. The station has four different tape lengths. I was thinking of maybe using ribbon too. In this picture, the child is using popsicle sticks; you could use toothpicks too.

 
I saw this on Pinterest the idea of gluing the footprint on a recording sheet... I love this idea!





I bought this math vocabulary pack by Kim Adsit...I love it!!!!!! 
I think this is a great product to buy.

Below you will find the book downloads.


 In the corner of the paper is a circle that is the letter you put on the object. I have a table of about ten objects labeled with letters.


The books have four pages each. If they finish early, they can go on the back and measure another item.
Color Measuring cover Measuring Cubes Two Measuring With Paper ClipsPaper Clips Two Measure With Sticks

9 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous book to make with my kinders when learning about measuring lengths. Thanks for sharing!!


    ✿~jeannie~
    ­Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the chart you made and how they drew their understanding of the concept. That's a great idea that could be used with most any new concept. Thanks!

    Tammy
    www.foreverin1st.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of measuring with different instruments. Visiting from Math Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC! Newest stalker to your blog!! LOVE!

    Sarah
    shetrick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these measuring ideas! I am your newest follower!

    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great book I would love to use. Cant download. Can this be purchased on TPT?
    cwood@goaj.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and LOOOOVE IT!
    I tried to download the books and it wouldn't let me. It said I had to pay....weird! Can you e-mail it to me? I would love to try using it in my class as an end of the year fun math time activity! Also, I saw you made a book for "Grabbing" things and recording it. I would love that one as well!
    Thanks!
    petunia.sara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...